- Fast growth in Asia is creating new business opportunities and driving higher earnings per share
- Regional growth themes play out differently in each country – knowing the local market is essential
- Experienced, on-the-ground team seeks out the local companies best positioned to exploit growth themes
- High-conviction portfolio of stocks from across the region and the capitalisation range
- Excellent 1 and 3 year track record, ranked top quartile among peer group and 5 Star rated by Morningstar
Emerging Asia is an exciting growth story: the region’s economic development has outpaced that of developed markets and other regions of the emerging world for several years. The region continues to grow, but its drivers are changing as many countries find themselves in a new phase of their development, with major sources of future expansion still to be tapped. These include increased infrastructure spending, rising domestic consumption, greater penetration of financial services and the opening-up of the region’s internal market thanks to better trading links.
We aim to capitalise on Asia’s growth by researching the most important regional themes and how they will play out in each country. For example, exploiting population trends in China – where cheap labour is becoming less readily available – requires a different approach from in India, where the demographic dividend is just beginning. We then focus on finding, visiting and analysing companies that are well placed to benefit from these themes. Each stock is subject to a thorough review as we seek to identify businesses with a solid competitive position, under-rated growth potential and highquality management. The portfolio consists of our highest-conviction ideas from across the region and holdings can remain in the fund for several years.